Skip to main content
Olympia Waldorf School

History of OWS

Our Story

Inspired by an introductory lecture given by Elana Freeland in 1983, a handful of parents set to work to establish a Waldorf school in Olympia. In March 1985, the Olympia Waldorf Education Association was formed and was recognized by the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA). After gaining legal nonprofit status and adopting bylaws, Olympia Waldorf School opened its doors to 17 young children that fall.

The school added grades one by one until we graduated our first Grade 8 class in June 2000. Now, each spring we send out into the world a group of amazing young people. Our program has expanded to include two preschools, three kindergartens and eight grades.

Prairie Hall

Olympia Waldorf School's Prairie Hall was formerly the home of the East Olympia School and was originally called the Chambers Prairie School. It was built in 1914, and opened its doors in 1916 to 38 students and two teachers in Grades 1 through 8.

After five years of renting space, Olympia Waldorf School moved into this beloved historical site in 1990. In 1999, our community built a new Middle School building, and in 2007, we renovated and opened the Kinderhaus on adjacent property.

Forty Years of OWS

To celebrate four decades of Olympia Waldorf School, our community produced the OWS School Compendium — a record of our shared history. Copies are available through the school store.